Rigaku SmartLab

Back by popular demand. Popular implying that someone mention PXRD to me and demand being erm well there was a post in the open house area on a PXRD related issue.
johnewarren
Synchrotron

Rigaku SmartLab

Post by johnewarren » 25 Aug 2015, 14:47

We have finally been able to use our new shiny Rigaku SmartLab 3K system here at Manchester. Building moves, electrical and water issues have delayed it significantly. Well delayed everything significantly.

Now that the dust is starting to settle and we are exploring the software in all its wonderful glory and nuances I'm wondering if there are any other SmartLab users on the forum who would like to share/swap notes?

For example I've found that once you've started a measurement in the software there is no way to work on the next measurement unlike the Bruker or PAN software packages. Which is quite frustrating. For example when you are preparing a pole figure or texture measurement with a pre-scan.

Likewise of late we've had a few hardware issue which we suspect are related to the state of the art detector but perhaps other users have had similar issues with a normal system?

How reliable is the autoalign function for your samples? - for ours it is terrible.

How many times have you managed to crash the control software. I've found many novel ways to do this. But am I alone?

I'm curious to know more so please post.

khlow
Sealed Tube

Re: Rigaku SmartLab

Post by khlow » 17 May 2017, 02:25

Hi johnewarren
congratulations that your SmartLab is working well now and thank you very much to share this journey.

We have a SmartLab 9KW installed in HK recently, may be I am not smart enough to use the SmartLab system, I've found that the software is not very convenient to use.

you have mentioned about the problem of auto-alignment, can you share more? how did you discover it and how do you solve it?

Yes, the control software ask for a re-start frequently, but I just click 'cancel' and then it seems normal.

I hope to learn more about the applications of this instrument from you, as you may know that it is not easy to contact with their engineers.

johnewarren
Synchrotron

Re: Rigaku SmartLab

Post by johnewarren » 13 Jun 2017, 07:07

khlow,
khlow wrote:
17 May 2017, 02:25
congratulations that your SmartLab is working well
I can not say that the statement above is true. I am no longer allowed to talk publicly regarding the state of our Rigaku SmartLab system (see post). I agree with the content of your post but sadly that is all I am allowed to say.

J

Return to “Powder X-ray Diffraction”