Intermittent Shutter Sticking - D8 Advance Series 1

Forum for troubleshooting hardware problems
johnewarren
Synchrotron

Intermittent Shutter Sticking - D8 Advance Series 1

Post by johnewarren » 02 May 2017, 15:21

On our old and now a little cracked and creaking Bruker D8 Advance we have been plagued by a intermittent shutter fault.

Tube Window Fault

Open Command Failed

The system is under service contract and the engineers have been great chasing this fault which often goes away when they arrive. We have changed one tube tower with a spare we had for another D8 but it still persisted, once the engineer had left mind you. We have tested different boards and it is still intermittently there. The next thing, after the brand new tube tower we have bought (yes this is to completely rule out the spare also being faulty) would be the power supply. Unfortunately it appears Bruker no longer produce the power supply used on our old D8 rack. So it would also be a completely new rack!!!

So after that rather lengthy intro:
Has anyone else had intermittent shutter issues which require require a restart of the system to clear?
If so did you ever fix the issue and how?

And does anyone have a suggestion for a power supply, erm, supplier for the the series one Advance rack?

Helge
Rotating Anode With Optics

Re: Intermittent Shutter Sticking - D8 Advance Series 1

Post by Helge » 02 May 2017, 15:48

What we used to have on our Bruker SMART Apex were shutter positioning switches which stuck occasionally. According to my dim memories that produced an error like this. Some of the switches had to be replaced after three months. And a big pain this was because these switches were only poorly accessible. Our electronics engineer had to stand bent forward by almost 45 degrees in order to solder them in place. And that fault happened to be intermittent as well.

wlewis
Rotating Anode With Optics

Post by wlewis » 05 May 2017, 10:56

From what I can remember, shutter issues were generally:
Corroded shutter plate binding (sand it down with emory paper).
Microswitches no longer always firing (replace microswitches).
Shutter arm binding (check for damage to the teflon cover).
Electromagnet becoming less powerfull (replace shutter assembly).

However entirely replacing the tube tower should fix all of these problems.

In terms of spares, I would try Hilton Brooks, or Werner Gerber.

johnewarren
Synchrotron

Post by johnewarren » 09 May 2017, 08:01

Lazy of me not to reply sooner.

Helge,
I know exactly what you mean regarding those switches (which can be bought from RS at a relatively low cost). There is a fabled jig supposedly design for engineers to make the installation easier. It was also controversial that micro-switches were used in such a hostile environment and whether there were actually technically by the book. That was many years ago now where it had always been stated that you required a mechanical contact/switch. Anyhow to answer your question the switches were changed on the first tube tower and they made no difference. I think it was the first thing physically changed after........

wlewis,
Yeap completely agree those are the common signs. The first thing that took place was the entire tube assembly was stripped and cleaned. Then that did not help, the micro-switches changed, then the a lot of tests involving boards, then the entire tube for our spare tube tower, but still the problem persisted on and off. Like I said the Bruker guys really worked hard on it but it is intermittent which is frustrating and hard to chase. That said in the last two days it has failed probably 6 times.

Bruker put it down to a three core parts:
  • tube tower - capturing, shutter assembly (not changed separately apparently), cables, etc
  • controller board - tested but still could be combined issue
  • power supply - not directly replaceable
I know HB very well in fact we use them for service contracts on 5 of our diffractometer systems. Two others are handled by Bruker and the third by a company I can not mentioned by name any more on here with the final two being serviced by ProtoXRD. I have chatted to Nick and Chris about it I believe Chris went towards micro-switches.

I guess the only thing for it will be to look at the rack power supply myself get a serial number and do some searching online. I know that when the onboard PC failed in another series 1 many, many years ago the part from Bruker was several £k but online as a generic rack PC only several hundred £. As my operating budget has been completely decimated by the current replacement parts to try chase this fault it is probably going to be year by year replacing out the list.

johnewarren
Synchrotron

Post by johnewarren » 13 Jun 2017, 07:34

johnewarren wrote:
09 May 2017, 08:01
tube tower - capturing, shutter assembly (not changed separately apparently), cables, etc
controller board - tested but still could be combined issue
power supply - not directly replaceable
One down and the fault persists. The Bruker guys though never rest and have thought of another possible cause. The only issue being I am in the middle of a back-to-back no downtime VT run so I can not actually attempt it. :roll: Typically timing issues.

Return to “Hardware Troubleshooting”