Wearing dosimeters during SC/P-XRD - Useful?

The area is an open house for a reason, all is open for chatting and such like and stuff. Treat this area like a conference evening social. You can talk science ask silly questions and be rude and drunk to other scientist who are also rude and drunk. Rude not in a mean way just in like that happy tipsy way. Basically an area to be casual and mellow in! If this area had a theme song it would start with - Making your way in the world today.....
Forum rules
This area is for general chit-chat for "off-topic" postings and for threads that just don't fit into the any other area of the forum. The general forum rules still apply so please observe them.

Please post THEORY, SOFTWARE and HARDWARE related posts in their appropriate areas e.g. shelxl related posts go to the shelx area located in the SOFTWARE area. If you have a CheckCIF issue post that in the CheckCIF area which is located in the SOFTWARE forum > Platon > CheckCIF.
ShowMeTheMonkey

Wearing dosimeters during SC/P-XRD - Useful?

Post by ShowMeTheMonkey » 11 Jan 2019, 19:55

So our health & safety crew went round the labs a year ago and decided that because X-rays are a form of radiation, then from now on, each member of staff has to have a personal dosimeter when they enter the room.

We all went along with it as sometimes it's easier to just go along with their suggestions. However one member decided to test the actual dosimeter and put it inside the SCXRD relatively close to the beam to see if it would get a reading. The results came back today and found nothing above background radiation!

Does anyone else have to wear a dosimeter all the time when near X-ray equipment? We've explained that when the source is off, there isn't any "residual" radiation, but they don't seem to agree with us.

With X-rays, wouldn't it only detect radiation if a beam directly hit it? In such case a dosimeter is quite a small target!

Just wondered if anyone else had opinions about this? For the record I don't really mind wearing it, but it's gotten a few other chemists a bit flustered....

khlow
Sealed Tube

Re: Wearing dosimeters during SC/P-XRD - Useful?

Post by khlow » 16 Jan 2019, 01:58

Good day ShowMeTheMonkey,

by the law in my country, all irradiating instruments (including enclosed X-ray diffractometer) must be housed in a "controlled area", and as required by our safety department, workers in the controlled area have to wear dosimeters. I agree with you that modern diffractometers are very safe, and in a scientific point of view the radiation dose on people working around diffractometer is at background level.

I guess the purpose of wearing dosimeter for workers is to protect the organization, so that they can prove that a safe working environment is provided and be free from lawsuit by the employee.

Interestingly wearing dosimeter is only required for employee, not for PG student users, probably from the organization view, either they have different litigation rights, or PG students have a zero X-ray absorption coefficient.

Arianna
Sealed Tube With Optics

Post by Arianna » 16 Jan 2019, 13:02

Somebody recently told me that the common dosimeters are designed for radiation harder than 17 or so keV, so even if there were CuKa photons jumping around they won't detect anything.
We've just installed the first diffractometer in my building and we will have the radioprotection guy come around this friday, so I'll let you know which creative initiatives he'll come up with.

Helge
Rotating Anode With Optics

Post by Helge » 17 Jan 2019, 09:36

We get regular radiation safety checks around our diffractometer. Of course there is no check inside the cabinet during a data collection, and otherwise there is always only background radiation. So far there has been no call for a dosimeter here at University College Dublin.

ShowMeTheMonkey

Post by ShowMeTheMonkey » 17 Jan 2019, 14:55

Arianna wrote:
16 Jan 2019, 13:02
Somebody recently told me that the common dosimeters are designed for radiation harder than 17 or so keV, so even if there were CuKa photons jumping around they won't detect anything.
So this was a great point that I took back to our H&S. Turns out they had no idea about the detection limits, but did point out to the make/model of our dosimeters. The ones that we're using are by Landauer, model "Luel+". These claim to have an X-ray limit of 5 keV to >40 MeV, which is just fine for our Cu and Mo source systems.

At least we now know that even if we wanted to detect our radiation, we can.

Return to “Open House”