xrf setup help?

The area is an open house for a reason, all is open for chatting and such like and stuff. Treat this area like a conference evening social. You can talk science ask silly questions and be rude and drunk to other scientist who are also rude and drunk. Rude not in a mean way just in like that happy tipsy way. Basically an area to be casual and mellow in! If this area had a theme song it would start with - Making your way in the world today.....
Forum rules
This area is for general chit-chat for "off-topic" postings and for threads that just don't fit into the any other area of the forum. The general forum rules still apply so please observe them.

Please post THEORY, SOFTWARE and HARDWARE related posts in their appropriate areas e.g. shelxl related posts go to the shelx area located in the SOFTWARE area. If you have a CheckCIF issue post that in the CheckCIF area which is located in the SOFTWARE forum > Platon > CheckCIF.
mkxsensors

xrf setup help?

Post by mkxsensors » 31 Mar 2018, 21:36

Hi Everyone,

I'm an electronic engineer doing mainly design but now also lots of testing of particle sensors. (Alpha, Beta, X-rays) As I'm not an expert in X-rays, sorry for lack of the proper terminology.

But I'll get to the point.
Lately we have obtained a diffractometer and two different X-ray tubes (Cu and Mo). For now we use the diffractometer in simplified configuration. The X-rays going out of the lamp go directly to the monochromator in the sample chamber and then we shine on the detector just with the K-alpha energies.

This works really nice when we want to do some imaging, but since our sensors have good energy resolution I would like to have a way to see more energies (peaks) in the measured spectrum. Of course the easiest way, I guess, is to put thin foil of a different material (with K-alpha lower than the tube) in front of the sensor and then I would see 2 energies.

But what I want is have a multi-peak spectrum, with peaks not to far from each other, demonstrating good performance of the sensor.
This is why I was thinking about doing XRF-like measurements.
My questions to you are:
- what is the best configuration to do this (shining on a tilted sample with the X-ray beam and having the detector also at the angle?)
- what could I use as a sample that can be easily obtained. I know that there are some NIST reference samples but we have low budget.. so a hackers approach is needed - a pill of aspirin maybe? :)
- could you recommend some books/manuals/lectures with "hands-on" approach that deal with this kind of measurements?
- is it really what I need? could I also demonstrate a good energy resolution by doing measurements in a diffractometer configuration? (lamp-sample-monochromator-detector?).

I'm open to your suggestions.
Thanks a lot.

Mac

Return to “Open House”