Describing co-ordination polyhedra

The area is an open house for a reason, all is open for chatting and such like and stuff. Treat this area like a conference evening social. You can talk science ask silly questions and be rude and drunk to other scientist who are also rude and drunk. Rude not in a mean way just in like that happy tipsy way. Basically an area to be casual and mellow in! If this area had a theme song it would start with - Making your way in the world today.....
Forum rules
This area is for general chit-chat for "off-topic" postings and for threads that just don't fit into the any other area of the forum. The general forum rules still apply so please observe them.

Please post THEORY, SOFTWARE and HARDWARE related posts in their appropriate areas e.g. shelxl related posts go to the shelx area located in the SOFTWARE area. If you have a CheckCIF issue post that in the CheckCIF area which is located in the SOFTWARE forum > Platon > CheckCIF.
troemyd

Describing co-ordination polyhedra

Post by troemyd » 11 Sep 2017, 11:06

I'm in the process of describing co-ordination polyhedra in a structure. The polyhedron that is closest has a rhombic face. In my refined structure, the atoms which form the corners of this face are not exactly in-plane which, given the nature of the structure, could be attributed to a refinement error.
What would be the best approach: describe the simpler polyhedron and point out the issue with this face, or describe the polygon as the more complex form with the rhombic face divided into two triangles?

Thanks

Helge
Rotating Anode With Optics

Re: Describing co-ordination polyhedra

Post by Helge » 19 Sep 2017, 13:03

As someone who comes originally from the structural chemistry of Lanthanide Silicates: Stick with the simpler one, i.e. treat the almost-rhombic face as a rhombic one.
I at one point had to resort to decriptions like "sea-urchin" for a 10-coordinate Cs cation.

troemyd

Re: Describing co-ordination polyhedra

Post by troemyd » 20 Sep 2017, 11:42

Thanks - I wasn't looking forward to coming up with a term for the more complicated shape.

Return to “Open House”