Piezo Crystals

From textbook to reality. Please use this area to discuss crystalisation theory, crystal engineering and save the practical for the appropriate forum area.
ANevin

Piezo Crystals

Post by ANevin » 26 Jun 2017, 11:23

Hi Everyone,

First time posting on a forum, so do go gentle!

My question is a matter of crystal theory - if I understand correctly, non-centrosymmetric spacegroups are the only ones which can exhibit piezoelectric properties. Is it therefore possible to take an existing crystal of a centrosymmetric nature, and dope it with a chiral molecule to thus change the spacegroup and potentially impart piezoelectric properties to the crystal? Is this an oversimplification, or is it at least theoretically plausible?

Thanks a lot,
Adam

Helge
Rotating Anode With Optics

Re: Piezo Crystals

Post by Helge » 10 Jul 2017, 15:42

That depends on what you call "doping". There was a paper in "Science" not too long ago (Science Vol. 353, 2016, pp. 808-811; DOI: 10.1126/science.aaf9135) where people soaked a MOF in a solution of chiral molecules; the result was a crystal of the MOF with the chiral molecules as guests. Even at an occupancy of about 50% that was enough to make the space group chiral and thus determine the absolute structure of the guests. In that case, as I understand it, the resulting crystal should definitely have piezoelectric properties.

Return to “Theory”