Interchanging unit cell axes in Triclinic system

This area is a space for discussions about programming, scripting, algorithms... related to crystallography. Bash, Python, C, Fortran are welcome but also R, gnuplot and other scientific scripting languages.
sunil
Sealed Tube

Interchanging unit cell axes in Triclinic system

Post by sunil » 02 May 2016, 06:33

Dear All,

I am having a series of systems with comparable structures. So I wanted to compare the structures with respect to their unit cell dimensions as one of the factors. But in a couple of systems their a- and b-axes got interchanged, making the comparison irrelevant. Is it possible to interchange the unit cell axes. Since being a triclinic system, theoretically it should possible to interchange the parameters, but I am not sure about the strategy involved. Can anyone help me to resolve this issue?

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Sunil

oleg
Olex2 Boffin

Re: Interchanging unit cell axes in Triclinic system

Post by oleg » 03 May 2016, 10:01

Hello,

you can use Olex's 'sgs' command (http://www.olexsys.org/Documentation/Ar ... up-setting)for swapping axes. The generic syntax for the command is:

Code: Select all

sgs a11 a12 a13 a21 a22 a23 a31 a32 a33 SG [out.hkl]
where aij - elements of the transformation matrix, SG - the space group the transformation leads to and optionally the transformed HKL file name for output.

So to swap a and b axes yo may try the following (if you do not need transformed HKL for the refinement):

Code: Select all

sgs 0 1 0 -1 0 0 0 0 1 P-1
Cheers,
Oleg.

Return to “Scientific Programming”